I went to work on Wednesday the 23rd and felt great. I had a great day at work, in fact. My co-workers all seemed to make me smile today-even moreso than they usually do. Roses had been sold a week before to raise money for breast cancer. I took the opportunity to purchase some roses for 3 of my coworkers.

One of them was a co-worker who sits right across from me. She’s on my team. I’ve mentioned her before. Shockingly, we both have Lupus. Weird, huh? I just had to buy her a rose. I bought her a rose now only because she’s a wonderfully sweet person, but because she is strong and a fighter!

After work, my father came and picked me up and we headed home. Nothing was out of the ordinary.

That night, I connected myself to my machine…and went to sleep.

I woke up the next day feeling horrible. My stomach had this dull feeling of pain that simply would not subside. I woke up about 3 hours before I was due to disconnect because I had to use the washroom. I turned my light on, got my saline and recirculator ready…then the urge left me. So, I went back to sleep.

When the END UF alarm woke me up 3 hours later…I felt horrible. I disconnected and gave myself plenty of saline. After I had finished doing all that I had to do, I made myself some tea and toast, took my meds, then went back to bed. I also took some gravol as well. I figured that I could sleep and rest until about 1pm, as I wouldn’t really need to leave home until about 2pm. I set my alarm, then fell asleep.

I woke up to the sound of my cell phone alarm charming. I decided immediately that I wouldn’t be going anywhere. I felt awful. The simple act of walking from my bed to the washroom, about 2 steps, felt terrible. My laptop was at the foot of my bed, so I opened it up and emailed my professor. I told her that I couldn’t make it to class. She promptly emailed me back and told me to get well. She also directed me to the slides that she had posted. I was happy she responded so quickly.

I knew that if I just got some rest I’d be ok for school tomorrow. I have Recruitment and Selection class on Fridays. I didn’t want to miss that! Oh, but my stomach had other plans. I woke up on Friday morning feeling just as awful. I didn’t have the luxury of sleeping in a bit and hoping to feel better as class starts at 11am. I sent a text message to some of my classmates to inform them that I wouldn’t be in class.

The next day (yesterday) was Saturday. I had to call in sick. I felt terrible. There was no way I could sit at a desk for 8 hours. The only way I could do that is with frequent “lie down” breaks, and that simply wouldn’t suffice as it wouldn’t be my own bed. I felt worried. Was I getting “sick” sick? This simply isn’t an option for me…I have so many other things to do! I spent the better part of Saturday in bed. I’m glad my Mommy was around to take care of me. So I rested. I did a bit of homework, but mostly rested. I have a group assignment due on Tuesday, so my 2 group members got together at my house and we worked on our project. I have to put it together today then post it on google docs so that they can see it.

I’m feeling a bit better today. I’m hoping I’ll feel even better tomorrow, as tomorrow is my long day: work in the morning, school in the evening. I’ll keep my fingers crossed…I hope you will too.


2 comments on “Minor Setback

  1. I really hope you are feeling better by now!! I had a fever last night and got really nervous something was going on, but I think it was just a sinus infection that I am currently taking antibiotics for now. Please post and let us know how you are doing! Its really awful to be sick when there is so much to do.


  2. Wow, this is terrible…reading this I am feeling your pain. You have all my prayers, hang in there and try not to stress, you know how lupus acts up with stress


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: